Summary: Bartenders prepare and serve drinks to customers
in bars and restaurants.
Bartenders prepare standard mixed drinks and pour wine and
beer. They also prepare mixed drinks to match customers? specific
orders. Most bartenders know dozens of drink recipes. They must be
able to prepare drinks quickly, accurately, and without waste.
Some large restaurants use machines that create drinks. Bartenders
that use these machines just push a button. However, they must
know how to prepare drinks in case the machine breaks. In most
bars and many restaurants, bartenders take orders directly from
customers. However, in some places they receive drink orders from
waiters and waitresses. In addition to serving drinks, bartenders
collect payment and operate the cash register. They also clean up
after customers and clean their work area. They often serve food
to customers seated at the bar. Bartenders check identification of
customers. Bartenders must be sure customers meet age requirements
for the purchase of alcohol and tobacco products. An additional
responsibility is to make sure customers do not drink too much
alcohol. Bartenders are responsible for ordering and maintaining
liquor and bar supplies. They often form attractive displays out
of bottles and glassware. Bartenders wash the glassware and
utensils after each use.
- Mix ingredients to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
- Wash glassware and utensils after each use.
- Pour wine and beer.
- Collect payment and operate a cash register.
- Serve food to customers seated at the bar.
- Check identification of customers to make sure they meet age
requirements for purchase of alcohol and tobacco products.
- Determine when a customer has had too much alcohol.
- Clean up after customers and clean work area.
- Order and maintain liquor and bar supplies.
- Arrange bottles and glasses to make attractive displays.
- Serve customers in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Handle and move objects, such as glasses and bottles, using
hands and arms.
- Order supplies from outside vendors.
- Monitor and maintain an inventory of supplies.
- Mix ingredients according to drink recipes.
- Perform physical activities such as lifting and stooping.
- Sell or influence others